Sunday, August 6, 2017

Saturday in the Garden | Bees and Dogs Not Getting Along

I like to garden and generally putter around in my yard and my Saturday in the Garden posts serve as my pseudo- garden journal, plus round-up of my week in reading, watching and blogging.  Occasionally, I'll whine, rant or gush about something in a GAK section. 

OUTSIDE


The pear tomatoes are starting to ripen so I've been munching on those.  I also got to roast some beets that I grew for like the first time ever!  With many of the herbs and wildflowers blooming, I'm also seeing more pollinator activity which makes me smile.  Even a bee using the bird bath!  Looks like a honey bee, though I'm no expert on bee i.d.  Of course my interest in the bee, attracted the attention of Rudy, who, in the absence of other prey, likes to stalk and try to eat bees.  Not only is it dumb on his part but now I feel like bee-kind will feel betrayed because apparently I planted all this attractive vegetation to lure them to their deaths by dog.  Sigh.... Sometimes dogs and gardens don't mix.


Phlox
I have really been enjoying my potted plants this summer and am happy to have the jasmine and gardenia in my life.  Funny how plants warm my heart:).  It's an outlet for my nurture gene... which may be a gene I made up but it sounds reasonable.  
Jasmine



WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

Nothing much actually.  TV slump continues.  I have been watching a lot of booktube videos lately. so I guess that counts.

Reading 

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted:

  • The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima:  I had a slow start with this one but ended up really loving it!  I've already started reading book two.  
  • The Devil's Novice (Brother Cadfael #8) by Ellis Peters: This is one of my favorite historical mystery series about a monk in medieval England.  It had been a while since I'd read one of these and it was nice to be back with Cadfael.  
  • A Useful Woman (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #1) by Darcie Wilde: This is the start to a historical mystery series set in Regency era England.  I really enjoyed it and it was a smidge more substantive than I was expecting.
    CURRENTLY READING
    • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms #2) by Cinda Chima Williams: The continuation of the story started in The Demon King!  
    • Prose and Cons (Magical Bookshop #2) by Amanda Flower:  A cozy mystery series set in a charming New York village with a magical bookshop.  
    • Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson:  This is the second memoir by "The Bloggess" that focuses specifically on Lawson's struggles with mental illness with a humorous touch.  
    • Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch:  Non-fiction about eating psychology and biology.  I've been dipping in and out of it for the last few months!

    Added to the TBR:

    This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

    - Big List Next Week!
      On the BLOG since I last Posted:

      TUESDAY: Quiet Genre Books  - A list of SFF and Mystery novels that are on the quieter side
      THURSDAY:  Review | Queens' Play (Lymond Chronicles #2) by Dorothy Dunnett


      Bunnies really do love carrots.

      HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment