Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saturday in the Garden - Sprouts and Burnout

OUTSIDE

It was a gray and drizzly week in Iowa so no field work.  Despite that, the Asian greens and radishes have sprouted.  This was also despite an attack by my garden nemesis - the fox squirrel.  They like to come through after I've direct sowed seeds and dig it all up.  Half the time they don't seem to eat the seed or anything  - they just like to dig.  Little buggers.

Squirrel Havoc

Asian Greens
I directed planted some mustard and flax in the herb garden and investigated climbing roses to plant in there as well.  I think I'm going to go with Graham Thomas.  They are supposed to be good climbers, tolerant of partial shade AND hardy in zone 4/5. And they're named after a dude. 

LIFE

I am officially in burn out mode at work and it's seeping into the rest of life as well.  I've got  a couple more weeks to get through and then I can take a break.  For some reason this viral Facebook post by Anne Lamott really spoke to me yesterday, probably because #3 really caught my eye: "Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you."  First world problems I know but looking forward to taking a break and puttering around the house and in the garden.

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching has been haphazard.  Picking and choosing Stargate SG1 episodes and lately the Harry Potter movies.  Needing comfort watching that doesn't demand too much.

Reading has also been haphazard.  Almost everything I am reading right now, besides my car audios is grim with a side of a little grimmer.  Fingersmith by Sarah Waters and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons are both excellent but I am not in the mood for either of them.  I want light rainbow colored fluffity fluff - cozy mysteries that involve animals, or a Regency romance with large doses of humor.  Because I don't want to drop the current books to pick up new books I am just not reading except in the car where I am re-reading Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia.  I finished The Magician's Nephew this week and picked up HP and the Chamber of Secrets.

Blogging has unfortunately been sucked into the general burnout malaise, I'm afraid. 

LAST WEEK:
SUNDAY: Review of Zenn Scarlett by Christian Schoon.  This is a YA Sci Fi book about a girl studying to be an exoveterinarian taking care of large alien creatures.  It had some problems but all the stuff about being an exovet was super cool!

TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday: Where are They Now with Literary Characters.

NEXT WEEK:
No idea.  I may post everything in the world.  I may sleep all week.  It'll be a surprise. 

So how does your garden grow?  And yes I mean that in a symbolic sort of way. Unless you have a garden, in which case do tell about that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment